Who doesn’t love pizza? What better way to say “I love you” at dinner than this pizza with its heart-shaped pepperoni and peppers? Use a ready-made crust or make this delicious homemade whole wheat pizza crust from scratch. Don’t worry! Pizza crust is quicker and easier than most bread recipes.
I first made this pizza back when my kids were little. For the family of five, I would make this recipe bigger or make two pizzas, but since I wanted you to be able to substitute a ready-made pizza crust, I pared the recipe down. Either way, one package of pepperoni, one jar of sauce and a large bag of cheese will be enough for 1-2 pizzas.
I had a tiny heart shaped cutter that I used for both the peppers and the pepperoni.
The peppers are cut by first slicing down the side of a large pepper to create a fairly flat surface and then by using the cookie cutter.
Pizza for Valentine's Day
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tsps. (or 1 pkg) rapid-rise yeast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Warm water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4oz (1/2 cup) pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-2 large red peppers
- 1-2large green peppers
- 1-2 oz. sliced pepperoni
- Mix together flour, salt, sugar and dry yeast. Into a liquid measuring cup, measure 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and then fill with warm, not hot (120-130 degrees), water up to one cup. Add to dry ingredients and stir to blend. Knead dough either in the bowl or on a lightly floured surface until all the ingredients are well incorporated. Lightly oil a mixing bowl. Set dough into bowl, and then turn the dough so that the top is oiled. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While dough is resting, prepare pepperoni and pepper hearts. Holding the pepper so that the stem is on top, slice down the sides to create relatively flat pepper surfaces. Use a small (I used 1 ½ inch) heart cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes. Set peppers aside and cut pepperoni using the heart cookie cutter.
- After dough has rested, turn it onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a 12 inch circle. Transfer crust onto a lightly greased pizza pan. Prick several times with a fork. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp. olive oil over baked crust. Spread to edges. Layer pizza with sauce, cheeses, peppers and pepperoni. Sprinkle with additional oregano or pizza seasoning if desired. Bake for 15-18 minutes.